Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Traveler Cowl

I am busy working away on my Traveler Shawl (it’s almost done) and I love knitting it. Andrea introduced the Traveler Cowl this morning and I’m playing with colours in my head.

You can purchase the pattern on Ravelry.

Photos © Andrea Mowry
My hope for this cowl is to inspire you to try experimenting with gauge to play with the size of the cowl, explore different color possibilities, hold a couple strands of yarn together, or even better - spin your own yarn! The stitch pattern lends itself beautifully to a relaxing knit, but its unique construction makes it fun to knit again and again! This cowl is worked flat on the bias, and then seamed. You begin by increasing on both edges, then only one, and finally decreasing on one edge to create this unique shape!

YARN REQUIREMENTS
These are just approximations. Total yarn usage will depend on the yarn you use (fiber content, ply, etc.), your personal gauge, and any modifications you may make.
 

DK Weight Wool Yarn 
Total approximate yardage per size: 65 (105, 157, 170) g/165 (265, 400, 430) yds/150 (245, 365, 395) m 
 

Exact yardage will depend on size, gauge and yarn used.

Here is an estimate in grams of yarn necessary to use a different weight yarn in this pattern. Please note that these are just estimations. I recommend staying within the range of fingering to worsted weight yarns. 

Fingering - 55 (85, 130, 140) g  

Sport - 60 (90, 140, 150) g  

Worsted - 70 (110, 165, 175) g 


The pattern includes exact instructions

for a specific gauge, but I’ve also included

dimensions to knit to, so that you can

try knitting this cowl at different gauges!

Swatch with different needle sizes until

you find a fabric you like, then knit to the

specified dimensions instead of relying

on gauge. Because it is a cowl, the final

dimensions don’t have to be perfect -

approximate is fine!


The instructions to knit to dimensions

are offered in black boxes throughout the

pattern.

I have purchased the pattern and it looks straight forward. The instructions are very detailed so that you can make the cowl in any yarn you want.

Mr. FedEx arrived this afternoon with 2 boxes. Our order from Della Q is finally here. 

The other box was 3 brand new colours of Noro Ito.

47
65
51

Ito would work for the new Traveler Cowl. I would suggest a 4.5mm-5mm needle. I think you will be able to knit the cowl with one ball but it will be close on yardage.

Noro Akari is another choice. I would suggest a 4.5mm-5mm needle and you should have lots of yarn. Akari has more yardage than Ito. Akari will give you a softer cowl but the colours are more muted.
Malabrigo Rios is an excellent option for the cowl. I would suggest a 4.5mm needle. Queguay is one of my favourite colours.

This is Piedras.

If you want a thinner cowl you could use Malabrigo Sock. Arco Iris is always a great choice.


Zauberball Crazy is another yarn that I would recommend. You can knit it on it’s own or add a strand of mohair/silk for a luxurious cowl.



Yesterday I mentioned Noro Silk Garden Sock for the PetiteKnit sweater. The yarn should be arriving on Friday (if I get back to the store in time after my appointment). Holding a strand of the Noro with a strand of mohair/silk or Suri Silk would work too. 

The possibilities are endless. If you are looking to knit down some stash I think you’ll have something in your house that would work as well.

Now it’s dinner time and then a bit of knitting.

No comments: