Friday, June 09, 2023

Sock Along

This is from Stephen West’s newsletter that came this morning

I am so excited to announce that the Westknits Surprise Sock Along is coming. It’s a mystery knit along for your feet! 

Throughout July we are going to knit the Contrast Blast Socks together with surprising new details and design elements each week. The Westknits Sock Along is all about learning fun new techniques with detailed video tutorials as we knit a part of the sock each week for a total of four weeks. At the end of the Sock Along you will have a beautiful pair of finished Contrast Blast Socks.

Never participated in a mystery knit along before? The Surprise Sock Along is the best way to start because each week's clues (instructions) are much less knitting than a standard mystery shawl knit along. The Surprise Sock Along is a mini mystery knitting adventure with bite-sized sections to accomplish each week. At the end of July you will have a complete set of socks featuring an amazing symphony of stitches!

I can't wait to embark on this Westknits sock knitting adventure together!

Stephen has a link to his website for more information.

Here are a few important pieces of information

If you use self-striping yarn, we would definitely use it for the CC and make sure your solid MC contrasts well with your CC. Knit a swatch to visualise the colour relationship! 
Variegated and highly speckled yarns will disguise some of the design details, but it’s okay to use one as the CC as long as your MC has a high contrast against your CC. Stephen designed the Contrast Blast Socks with solid and semi-solid yarns in mind, so stick with this type of yarn to make sure you love your finished socks. Use multi-coloured variegated yarns at your own risk. 

Here are a few quick pictures of my knitting before starting the trip. We’ll see how far I get.
I didn’t get my post done before leaving so I’m finishing it in the terminal. I’m flying out of a gate that I’ve never seen before. F98. There is another Maple Leaf lounge here and another Starbucks. The walk was 10 minutes from where we normally fly from. I asked an Air Canada employee before I started the walk to make sure I was reading the board correctly. 

It’s time to pull out my knitting - we have an hour before boarding. 

No comments: