Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Texture and Squish

I worked at home today. Bad day to do this - Andrea Mowry released a new pattern. I thought about going to the store to pick out yarn but I was on a roll with my work. I'll look at yarn tomorrow. I have a feeling I will be dreaming of combinations. 

This shawl is all about texture, squish and the movement of color. Watching the colors move and change was mesmerizing, and I finished the shawl long before I was ready to, because I just could not set it down! I hope this shawl inspires you to grab some of your favorite yarns and mash them together in a shawl that begs to be wrapped around you! This shawl is knit from the top down using Brioche and Half-fishermen’s rib. It is very customizable for different yarn weights and to achieve different sizes.
Photos © Andrea Mowry

 SUGGESTED YARN 

This shawl was inspired by my handspun yarn! For the pink sample I paired a marled, 2-ply Cormo yarn with a bright and playful 2-ply yarn spun up from the Hedgehog Fibres Fibre Club. I love how the soft neutrals of the Cormo balance out the pops of color from the Fibre Club! I then knit up a second sample out of commercially available yarns. I had some amazing Cormo DK from Wing and A Prayer Farm that was a heavier weight than my handspun, but full of soft bounce! I paired it with Spincycle Yarns Dyed in the Wool, to give a similar look to the playful, shifting colors of my own handspun. The options are really endless for this shawl. I would choose anything from Fingering to DK weight and solids, marls, speckles, and variegated will all look amazing!

Thanks to the flexibility of this pattern, you can play around with anything from light fingering to DK weight yarns! I recommend pairing one lighter weight yarn with one heavier weight yarn. I.E.: Sample 1 used light fingering (MC) with sport (CC) & Sample 2 used DK (MC) with sport (CC). YARDAGE WILL BE DEPENDENT ON HOW BIG YOU KNIT YOUR SHAWL. 

You have so many options for this shawl. Someone on Ravelry used Blue Sky Woolstok for their main colour and Spincycle Dyed in the Wool for the contrast. I wouldn't have put them together (the Woolstok is quite a bit thicker) but the finished shawl looks great.

Andrea always gives yarn substitution options. You can see her suggestions here. For a fingering weight yarn she suggests Crazy and for sport she suggests Juniper Moon Patagonia. We will have more stock on Friday. 

#107 Aquamarine

#111 Violet

#135 Ruby

#137 Seafoam

You can purchase the pattern for the Attune Shawl on Andrea's website.


The green shawl is knit with commercial yarns and the pink version is knit with handspun.



This was my set up today. iPad, iMac and TV. My eyes are tired so it's time to sign off. Have a good evening and drive safe tomorrow morning. We have another weather warning - freezing rain is possible. YUCK!!!

No comments: