Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Velvet Mirror

I didn’t want to start a new project but I had to. Let’s call it research. Andrea Mowry has a new pattern called the Velvet Mirror Cowl (pattern purchased on Andrea’s website).

This cowl gets started with a provisional cast on and then is knit sideways as a tube. A half twist and some kitchener stitch to finish it off and you have an easy to wear, cozy-to-the-max cowl to pair with all of your cool weather outfits!

Andrea used Dyed in the Wool with a yarn that we don’t carry. It is a blend of Baby Suri and we don’t have anything ‘fluffy’ with the same tension. I am using two strands of Kidsilk Haze. Andrea always adds a list of yarn substitute suggestions to her Ravelry page but she hasn’t actually knit with these yarns. She suggested a yarn like Kidsilk Haze but single strand. I was afraid that it would be too thin.

I am using Pick Your Poison Dyed in the Wool (2 skeins) with Kidsilk Haze 641 (3 balls). If you use the Kidsilk Haze single strand you will need 2 balls. So far I am happy with the two strands but really haven’t knit enough to make an educated decision.

If you are wondering about the teal - it is my provisional cast on. It will be removed when I am finished knitting the cowl.

Photos © Andrea Mowry





The pattern for the beautiful sweater that Andrea is wearing will be available in a few weeks. We will be making kits. I can’t wait - I already have yarn set aside for mine.

Dyed in the Wool fans - meet Light Years - coming next week.

Now I’m heading back to my knitting and The Amazing Race.

No comments: