Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Skylights

Sarah has a beautiful new sweater. This is Skylights by Tanis Lavallee (pattern purchased on Tanis’ website).
Can a sweater be light and drapey while at the same time being cozy and chunky? I think this sweater design proves that the answer to that question is a resounding YES! I really went for it with the design details, combining lace, cables, nupps, a wide neckline, an oversized fit and of course those statement puff sleeves! Knit at a loose gauge to create flattering drape, this sweater practically knits itself. You’ll be wearing your new favourite sweater before you know it!

I did the first size. 

I knit the body and part of an arm in one ball of Akari and ended the neck with about 5 meters of the third ball of mohair left. I have a 4th ball that I didn’t start. I knit the sleeves slightly longer so I’d get 4 balls of mohair if you want the body longer or are worried you’ll run out. 

This is sweater was knit in a week! It is such a fun sweater if you need a break from knitting something more intricate or just need an inspirational boost! Instant gratification. Akari is beautiful yarn and so soft! It feels like you are wearing a cloud! 

I like the added mohair as well. I chose a colour that blends well but I think it would have been fun to mix in a mohair with some extra colour! 

Oh and I did the Jenny super stretchy bind off as I can’t seem to get the tubular bind off to be my friend lol!  

Sometimes knitters have colour bias when they see a finished garment. They need to knit it in the colour that was pictured. I switched the photos to black and white so you will pick the colour that you like the best.

The yarn is Akari from Noro and Biches & Buches Le Petit Mohair & Silk. This will make a chunky weight yarn. When Tanis says you need 800 yards for the smallest size that means 800 yards of each yarn.

For the Mohair & Silk I would suggest choosing Light Grey, Grey Beige or Off White. The colours are light and don’t fight with the Akari.




Lynn and I photographed all the balls of Akari this afternoon and updated the website. I think that this will show the colours better.
Photos © Andrea Mowry
Andrea Mowry published a new pattern yesterday. This is Stria - pattern purchased on Andrea’s website. (Not the shawl so I’m hoping that’s coming next week.)
Thanks to being able to connect virtually, many of us who used to knit alone have now made friends far and wide to knit with! The Instafriends KAL celebrates this every fall by gathering virtually to knit together. This year I wanted a “go-with-everything” cardigan that is welcome over dresses or T-shirts or under overalls. An easy-to-wear, maximum squishiness, stripes for all occasions cardi! This sweater is worked from the top down, seamlessly. The sleeve stitches are put on hold while the body is finished and then returned to the needle. You can, of course, modify it to have any length body or sleeves. Do take into account that modifications will affect the yardage required, and if length is added to the body, you may want to add an extra button/buttonhole. 


Here is the link to #instafriendskal2021.




The cardigan is knit in fingering weight so your options are endless. On Ravelry a few people have used Dyed in the Wool for the stripes. Another thought is Noro Silk Garden Sock. I would use one colour of Dyed in the Wool or Silk Garden Sock and let the yarn make the stripes for you.



No comments: