Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Vivid

This is the Vivid Blanket from Tin Can Knits.

The pattern can be knit in any weight of yarn, and you may make more or less squares for a smaller or larger finished blanket.  
Squares will measure approximately 7.5 (8, 9) inches square for sock (DK, worsted / aran) weight yarns.  
The baby-blanket sized sample is made in sock weight yarn and is 30 x 37.5 inches (20 squares).

You can purchase the pattern on the Tin Can Knits website.
There is a tutorial for the blanket. In the tutorial they talk about the pinhole cast on. This is a very different way to start - it reminds me of starting a crochet granny square. It looks hard at first glance but after you try it you will find that you can do it. Take out some scrap yarn and learn a new technique.


There is a knitter on Instagram who is making the Vivid Blanket and I became obsessed with her version

Take a look at knittingfiona’s Instagram for more pictures of the blanket and her other beautiful work.

For her blanket she is using a fingering weight wool doubled. This got me thinking and Le Petit Lambswool would make a beautiful blanket. There are amazing colours. If you go back through knittingfiona’s page you will see the some squares are double strand of the same colour and for some squares she used two different colours. 

Here is the start of my first square. I should have taken pictures when I was working with double pointed needles - it looked like a square then.

It was time to move to a circular needle …. Of course I don’t have a Lantern Moon 4mm 40cm needle at home. I don’t have a 60cm either. I put the square on an 80cm so it didn’t fall off the double pointed needles. 

I will have many colours to play with when we receive our next shipment from Biches & Buches. Hopefully next week.
I ordered a new yarn today. Linello should be here next week. The ball has 280m (100grams) and the suggested needle is 3.5mm-4mm. I think you can go to a 5mm for a scarf or shawl
The colours are ever surprising. Linello is a beautiful yarn made of linen, cotton and just a small percentage of viscose. The composition is not only breath-taking but it’s also breathable material. Perfect for hot summer days and balmy evenings. 








The Jays and Leafs are on. Maybe I’ll get my square finished. It is going to be a project that will be completed over a long time. It’s like a Log Cabin afghan. You work on squares and then put it away for awhile. Then you pull it out and wonder why you didn’t knit more squares because they are fun to make.

1 comment:

Lois Evensen said...

The blanket is just beautiful!