Tuesday, April 09, 2024

Hello from the high seas

I’m writing a quick post to check in. My trip is going well. I don’t think I mentioned that my trip to the Bahamas is on a cruise ship.
Andrea Mowry has a new pattern that you can purchase on Ravelry. This is called Brume.

This sweater is knit from the top down (meaning you can try it on as you go and add length to suit your own personal style), beginning with the folded collar. I love how a folded collar gives more structure to the high neck, while also keeping the collar from being too tight on my neck. (I don’t know about you - but I get very uncomfortable if clothing squeezes against the front of my throat. The structure of this collar keeps my neck warm, without the restrictive feeling of a classic turtleneck!) After knitting the yoke, you will separate the sleeves and place them on hold while the body is finished. The sleeves are then returned to the needle, picking up stitches for the underarm for a totally seamless sweater!

We don’t have a DK Suri Silk like Andrea used for the teal sweater but we have Emma’s Suri Silk which is the same base that Andrea used for the grey version. She held this with a sportweight but you can also use a fingering weight (sample knitters used fingering and their sweaters look amazing).

It’s been at least 25 years since I’ve been on a cruise. Beth suggested that I try it and things fell into place on Saturday night.

My cabin steward left this on my bed today.
My travel knitting - a Traveler Cowl. I’m using Light Years Dyed in the Wool.

I am feeling a bit guilty about taking off so unexpectedly but this trip was needed and I am feeling really relaxed. 

Tomorrow we dock in Nassau. It’s been 35 years since I was there. It will be interesting to see how it has changed.

I have a lot more pictures to share but they are on my phone. I can only connect to one device at a time and I’m blogging on my iPad. I’ll share pictures when I get home.

Have a good afternoon - it’s time for a milkshake.

1 comment:

Lois Evensen said...

How fun! I spent 20 years sailing with my husband (a perk of his rank) and did a great deal of knitting there. It's just fabulous to enjoy the views, salt air, knitting and not having to cook, clean, make beds.... ;) The sweaters you've posted are beautiful and your shawl is such lovely colors of the sea. What ship are you on?

We are retired and rocking retirement at home! At the end of this month, My Honey and I will sail aboard Mariner of the Seas to celebrate our 25th Anniversary where our Best Man is captain.

I'm wishing you fair winds and following seas. Enjoy!
Lois