Thursday, December 22, 2022

Saran Wrap Ball

Diana stopped in this afternoon to pick up yarn for Yvonne MT (pattern purchased on Ravelry). I went with Dark Blue Black and Soft Gold. I dreamt of this combination last night so I didn’t even look at anything else.

From the designer Natasja Hornby

Each year I try to expand upon one of my favorite techniques, mosaic knitting, by designing what I call a ‘Grand Mosaic’ shawl. Yvonne MT, with its eye-catching diamonds and arrows, suits my grand criteria perfectly.  

This shawl is especially close to my heart, not only because I used a novel technique, but also because it was a joint venture with my mom, Yvonne Maria Theresia.  

The three colored version uses a technique I call ‘Intarsia light’, which is carefully explained in the pattern. If you prefer not to use the technique, the two colored shawl my mom created, proves that Yvonne MT doesn’t necessarily need that third color to stand out from the crowd. 

CONSTRUCTION 
Yvonne MT is a sideways constructed triangle. You will start with a few stitches, and work increases to shape the shawl. The three color version is worked using a technique I call ‘Intarsia light’. This technique is easy to work, and carefully explained in the pattern.

You can also choose to work the shawl in two colors, without introducing a third color for the inner triangle of the shawl. Please refer to the pictures for an example of the three- and the two-colored version.

Tonight we worked in the game for Christmas Day. I should have taken pictures before we started so you could see everything in the ball. We started with a stuffed animal (there is a 2 year old coming) to try and get a round ball and then we kept wrapping Saran Wrap around the ball. After a few wraps you cut the wrap and start again with more prizes. There are gift cards, golf balls, socks, chocolates, playing cards, loose change from dad’s pocket and lots of travel toothpaste mixed with other small items that Beth found around the house and at the dollar store. If you google Saran Wrap ball you will find lots of websites with videos and rules to the game.

It looks like the prizes are one wrap away but there are many layers to get through.
Oh, I forgot, we are making the person unwrapping wear oven mitts. Dad did a trial run - you think it’s going to be easy but it isn’t.

I left a note on the store door for tomorrow that we are closed due to the weather just in case it’s bad in the morning. I will be posting on Instagram and Facebook if we’re closed. Stay safe if you’re out and about tomorrow.

1 comment:

Lois Evensen said...

Your saran ball looks like so much fun! :)