Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Curio Socks

Andrea Mowry has a new sock pattern.

I’ve been wanting a go-to sock pattern to use with my handspun, which inspired these Curio socks! If you don’t spin yarn yourself, any color shifting or self-striping yarn would be very fun to use, and the pattern works equally as well with solids, or to use up odds & ends from previous projects! 

These socks are knit from the toe up with an afterthought heel. The pattern recommends magic loop, but you can swap in double pointed needles if that feels better for you! 

This pattern includes a Bonus PDF if you want to knit your socks inside out (like my mint & pink sample)!!

Photos © Andrea Mowry

You can purchase the pattern for the Curio socks on Andrea’s website.



From Andrea

For these socks I personally knit up 3 different pairs, trying 4 different yarns. I think any strong, fingering weight yarn would work great! The inspiration for the socks was to see how different styles of spinning my handspun would knit up, but if you are not a spinner then Spincycle Yarns Dyed in the Wool is a great substitute to create that color shifting effect! 

For the main colour (ribbing, heels and toes) we used Alegria, Tough Love Sock and Twist Sock. I did not pull out any Dyed in the Wool colours. I can put together kits if you’d like but I wasn’t sure if people really wanted Dyed in the Wool for socks. We chose Uneek Fingering (not on the website - we have a few skeins lying around) and Zauberball Crazy.

I was half way out of the store when I remembered that I hadn’t put together combinations. We laid out some colours and I will take pictures tomorrow.

I spoke with Della Q today and the bags have arrived at their warehouse. They should be shipped out to us next week and we will have them by the beginning of December. I have started adding them to the website. More items will be coming tomorrow.

A surprise is coming later this week - Alafoss Lopi. We carried Lopi for many years and then distributors changed and we stopped. I’ve been thinking about it for a while. The supplier is having a hard time getting stock so we are missing colours but more could be coming in a few weeks. You can see the colours coming in this order on the website. I will add in quantities when I know the delivery date.

This is Sjon Alafoss - pattern purchased on Ravelry.

I had many, many Lopi sweaters when I was younger. I had one for every day of the week when I was in university. I wore my sweaters as a coat. I would have on a turtleneck and a button down under my sweater.

Take a look at the Carbeth Cardigan on Ravelry. Many people have used Lopi.

This is Sarah’s Magnolia Chunky which can be knit in Lopi. Another great pattern is Magnolia Bloom. You can find the patterns on Ravelry.


I’m going to sign off to write a newsletter. No knitting tonight 😢

No comments: