Friday, July 16, 2021

I’ve found my next project

Stephen West has a new shawl called Quadrangle Spires.

Photos © Stephen West
You can purchase the pattern on Stephen’s website. I’ve downloaded the pattern and it is long. Stephen has a lot of pictures to explain the steps. 

This architecturally inspired wrap begins in the center with four triangular sections that modularly join together to form a square. Each section is seamlessly picked up from the previous section. Once the central square foundation is created, stitches are picked up along two corners of the shape for the wingspan spires. You can customize the final length of your shawl by binding off early or knit more repeats for a long luxurious wrap. I featured three skeins of West Wool Bicycle as the main color with six Spincycle colorways for a fascinating striped knitting experience. Customize the contrast however you like by choosing similar types of self-striping yarns or dive into your stash and make those colors pop! 

Watch my Westknits video here to see the Quadrangle Spires shawl up close as I talk about the construction of the fabric and help you choose colors for this pattern.

This is a true work of art. The yarn is a fingering weight for the lines with 6 colours of Dyed in the Wool.






 
I brought skeins of yarn home and took them outside for pictures. These are the colours that Stephen used. I love the shawl and this could be my colourway but there are a few more options.

These colours are 

  • Neveruary A
  • The Meadows C
  • Overshadow A
  • The Saddest Place C
  • Dead Reckoning C
  • The Family Jewels B
  • Le Petit Lambswool - Dark Blue Black
For this one I took out Dead Reckoning and put in Idle Nights E. 

You could easily use a dark grey Le Petit Lambswool for the lines.

  • Ghost Ranch A
  • Mississippi Marsala B
  • Castaway B
  • Wololo A
  • Mississippi Marsala A
  • Shades of Earth E
  • Le Petit Lambswool Dark Blue Turquoise

These are the same two with different line colours

  • Wololo A (this is a different skein than the one I used for the rust colourway)
  • Nostalgia C
  • Miss Me A
  • Midsommar CC
  • Wallflower A
  • Cold Comfort A
  • Le Petit Lambswool Light Pink and then Green Pink Turqouise
This is the same colours but I used Midsommar C.

I’m very torn on which I like the best. I think it’s the blue because I see it finished. Of course I’ll play with a few more colours. In the pattern Stephen also mentions using Zauberball Crazy.

Mr. UPS came today with new stitch markers from Purlsmith.


The packaging is so cute. What a great gift idea for a knitter in your life or for yourself.





All day I have been upset because the weather showed very little rain tomorrow. Then late this afternoon the forecast changed and it shows a lot of rain tomorrow. I feel much better. Now a few rows on my shawl before bed.

No comments: