Monday, May 22, 2023

We did a thing

Things have been a little hectic around here. Everything is good but I have news.

We bought a family cottage last week. Beth and I sold our house in Myrtle Beach 3 years ago. I hadn’t talked about it but we didn’t visit often enough. Dad is selling his house in Myrtle Beach as well. We are putting our money together and bought something up north. The cottage is 2.5 hours from the store so I can go up after work on Saturday and come home Monday or Tuesday.

The cottage is a fixer upper. The bedrooms have paneling on the walls (think your parents basement 50 years ago). The floors need to be replaced. The kitchen is 25 years old. We have work to do over the next few summers. It’s good to live in now but we want to make some updates.

We get the cottage on June 1st. Dad and Beth have long lists. We’ve started shopping for bedding, kitchen wares, BBQ… All the things we need up there. I won’t be going up until the 3rd after work. Everything should be set up by the time I get there.

Oh yeah. We bought a pontoon boat. The cottage is on an island.

Tomorrow I get back to work. Lynn and I will be getting yarn ready for Saturday. We have yarn bagged and boxed - we just need to get it in order to take outside.

I think Mr. FedEx is bringing 4 boxes from Della Q tomorrow. There will be boxes everywhere!!

Dad made muffins while I was cooking dinner. Jackson decided to help. 
He knocked dad’s arm as dad was filling the muffin tin. Jackson was proud of himself. Dad thought it was funny. I wasn’t impressed. Dad lets Jackson get away with things he would never have let us get away with when we were young.

9 comments:

wildmag said...

Congratulations on the cottage! It's my dream to have something on the water... I'll keep dreaming.

Lynne said...

A cottage - how exciting! It looks like it must have great views. Enjoy the heck out of that time away.

Trina said...

Congratulations Julie! Your cottage looks beautiful.

Janet D said...

Congratulations!!! Such a fun project!

Anonymous said...

Looks peaceful. Enjoy.

Jan Roser said...

Congratulations on your cottage purchase! I love the walkway and the chimney! It will be fun to make it your own!

Diane said...

COngratulations! It looks amazing! And I think grandparents (even of grand dogs) are supposed to treat them differently! ITs a law somewhere I think... ;)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations from former neighbours on Kawagama. Enjoy! Love to your Dad and Beth, Heather

Julie said...

Hi Heather. Thank you so much. We miss Opa’s cottage and we miss all the neighbours. We have fond memories of being on the lake with all of you.