Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Winters Beach

I was talking about Hedgehog Tweedy yesterday and then this morning there was an email from Andrea Mowry. She designed a new cardigan in Tweedy. I would have ordered a lot more Tweedy had I known this was coming out. The cardigan is gorgeous!

When it comes to tweed yarn, I immediately begin dreaming of cables. I wanted to create a cozy cardigan with a no-fuss style. Winters Beach is worn open and is the perfect layering sweater - complete with pockets, of course. This sweater is knit from bottom up to the shoulders, then sleeves are picked up around the armholes and knit down. Pockets are placed while knitting the body of the sweater and finished at the end.

You can purchase the pattern for the Winters Beach Cardi on Andrea’s website. 

Photos © Andrea Mowry


We went through the store today and came up with some substitutions for the cardigan.

Arranmore Light from The Fibre. Co would be a great choice. Above is St. Clair and below is Ailis.

Deluxe DK Tweed from Universal Yarns.

I nearly tripped over a basket of this yarn and it hit me that it would work great for the cardigan. We have enough ecru (Porcelain) in stock for one cardigan. I quickly placed an order today and more is on the way.
-Garnet
-Porcelain
-Denim
-Charcoal
-Cloud Blue 

Lovely, Scottish 100% wool yarn in an exclusive, soft quality and with exactly that authenticity and roughness a tweed yarn should possess. Comes in beautiful tones perfect for colourwork or textured patterns. Pretty sweater, mittens, scarfs and much, much more can be produced with this lovely yarn.


Patagonia from Juniper Moon is another option.
This tweedy yarn is humanely grown in Argentina and spun from Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) certified, sustainable, non-mulesed, pesticide-free organic merino wool. It is both hearty and soft and has a lovely bloom after it is washed.


Andrea always gives yarn substitution ideas. One yarn she suggests is Rowan Felted Tweed.

I made a chart this afternoon with different yarns and how many balls or skeins that you would need. I am a believer of purchasing extra yarn just in case. By yardage you need 6 balls of Felted Tweed for the smallest size. I would suggest 7.

PSA - make sure you do a tension swatch.
The pattern says 5mm needles for the main body of the cardigan. I think that might be too big and you will need a 4.5mm and some knitters will have to go to a 4mm. Swatching is important. If you aren’t familiar with making a tension swatch, take a minute to read Kate Atherley’s blog post about swatching. And then read this blog post.

Painting Waves is finished so I needed something to knit last night. I picked up my Rock It Tee by Tanis. I am past the armholes so it’s just knitting around and around. This will keep me busy for a few days waiting for a shipment to arrive from Spincycle.
We have a new colour coming. This is Good Omen in Dream State (above) and Dyed in the Wool (below).

No comments: