Friday, December 11, 2020

We have a guest blogger tonight

Lynn has been working on a new sweater. I ‘suggested’ that she write about it for tonight’s post.

Here is a picture of my progress so far on Arboreal by Jennifer Steingass. She published this pattern a few years ago and it has been at the top of my favourites ever since. I chose to knit the sweater in Lore by The Fibre Company and I am glad I did. The wool is light and lofty and perfect for colourwork. I am using Confident for my main colour (dark) and Caring for my contrast colour (light). I tend to be a tight knitter so I did go up a needle size for the colourwork. I also like to put a stitch marker at the beginning of every pattern repeat, it helps me notice my mistakes before I get to far. I am using my Zing interchangeable needles and when I am working in the round I do like to use a smaller needle on the end I am knitting off of. It was a great tip we learned at camp one year. It helps the wool slide easier.  This is my second Jennifer Steingass pattern and it will not be my last.  Her patterns are so well written and easy to follow. 

I'm going to add a few things to Lynn's post.

You can purchase the pattern on Ravelry.

Arboreal is worked seamlessly from the top down. The stranded yoke is worked and then short row shaping is added on the back to shape the shoulders and neckline. The sleeves and body are separated and worked top down. Optional, gentle waist shaping makes for a feminine fit. It’s fun and meditative to watch the leaves grow as the yoke is knitted. The chart is easy to follow and memorize and is suitable for a beginner, calling for only two colors. This design lends itself to many types of yarn and color combinations: Choose 2 colors for simplicity, create a faded effect in the yoke background, or simulate a turning leaves effect by creating a gradient with colors of your choice.

We have great colour choices in Lore.

Lynn mentioned having 2 different sized tips on her needles. If the pattern calls for a 5mm needle, the needle on the right is 5mm and the needle on the left is 4.5mm. I totally forgot about this. I believe it was Josh Bennett who told us this at Knitting Camp. A great reason to use interchangeable needles.

One other thing - Lynn has chosen the light colour to be her Dominant colour. That means she is carrying the light colour on the bottom and the dark colour over the top. This makes the light colour stand out against the dark.

Thanks Lynn for writing about you sweater. I can't wait to see it finished!

1 comment:

Trina said...

That's so funny...I'm working on exact same sweater....around same point as Lynn. I love her patterns...so much fun and not as hard as they look!