Wednesday, July 22, 2026

St. John’s Day two

We had another great day. Too good. I’m exhausted and heading to bed soon. It’s 8:30 here and still light - I hope I make it until 9.

Another day, another whale watching trip. We only saw one whale and briefly. It was a Fin whale which are very rare here. The boat ride was great and we saw lots of the St. John’s landscape.







We had dinner at the Duke of Duckworth. Dad had fish and chips again (the second time this trip). He hasn’t eaten fish in 40 years but decided he was eating it when we got here. He has been raving about it and tomorrow’s dinner will be somewhere that serves them.

After dinner we drove by the Jellybean Row Houses. I was driving so no pictures but every house is a different colour and it is amazing! Bright yellows, reds, blues, greens, pinks and purples. Residents don’t have to worry about going to the wrong house.

I have many more pictures to share but those will have to wait until I get home. My bed is calling. We have a lot to fit in tomorrow.

Heidi Kirrmaier has a new pattern. You can purchase the pattern for Waterways on Ravelry.


Design:
This tee is designed to be easy to wear, with its short dolman sleeves and straight neckline. The horizontal and vertical stripes created with knit and purl stitches give it a subtle sporty, nautical feel.
 

How it’s knit:
It is knit seamlessly from the top down. The top sections are worked flat, with short row shaping for the shoulders, and decreases to shape the sleeves. Then it is joined at the underarms and the body is worked in the round. There are 2 options for finishing the neckline and sleeves: a simple knit option, or i-cord.
 

Fit:
It is intended to fit with approximately 5-8 inches (12-20 cm) of ease around the body. The length of the body from the underarm is 12 inches (30 cm). If you wish to make it longer, you may need more yarn.
 

Yarn
Any plant based DK yarn that works at the pattern gauge may be used.
 

Plant based (or silk) fibres are recommended because they tend to be quite inelastic, so the front and back ribbing will lay fairly flat, rather than pulling in.