Saturday, August 31, 2013

My New Best Friend

Tosh Chunky in fog
I didn't get very far last night but enough to know that I like knitting with the yarn.
It really isn't a chunky yarn-closer to Aran. I would suggest a tension of 16-18 stitches = 4" on 4.5-5.5mm needles.

I'm making Wheaten - an Anne Hanson pattern that I purchased on Ravelry.
There are two versions to the pattern - fingering (pictured) and worsted. I'm following the worsted numbers but my yarn is slightly thicker than worsted so I will end up with a bit bigger wrap. The pattern is well written (both words and a chart) and is easy to follow. The pattern stitches aren't hard either.

Now the Karbonz needles. I didn't read the pattern before I went home (surprise, surprise) and didn't take Karbonz to do the ribbing. After ribbing on Addis I changed to the Karbonz. Honestly, I didn't like them after the first row. They aren't as fast as Addis and I didn't like the metal point. But after the second row I changed my mind. They have a very nice feel to them. As the packaging says they are warm in your hand and they are very light. The point is great if you are doing any time of lace work. The join is perfect. There is no catching like on those old grey circular needles we knit with years ago. They aren't as slippery as Addis so you don't have to worry about your stitches sliding off. (I'm not knocking Addis-I like slippery needles-but it is something that some knitters don't like) I definitely give them an A.

I'm going to open a package and cast on some stitches so you can try them if you come into the store. I think you will like them too.

I need to pick easy knitting to work on tonight. Nothing that needs my attention. Beth has started to knit a monkey-Jacobus. There are a lot of instructions and a lot of shaping. I need to be on call for questions.

No comments: