Thursday, April 01, 2021

Leaves in a Stream

Romi has a new pattern and it is gorgeous. I am sending yarn to Lynda on Monday for her to knit a store sample. I want to make this but Lynda will get it done faster than me 😘

Photos © Rosemary (Romi) Hill

Autumn has always been my very favorite time of the year. Crisp air, intense blue skies, and the achingly beautiful colors of fall foliage. My first version of this shawl was the greens, golds, and greys, pictured here on my younger son. As it was taking shape, it reminded me of days spent watching leaves flowing and converging, floating in and out of the sunlight as they played in a Northern California waterway. And so, I began thinking of this shawl as Leaves in a Stream and soon I couldn’t call it by any other name. Two gradient colorways intertwine, and with German short rows, create a stunning play of light and shape in fingering or aran/worsted weight yarn.

Purchase the pattern on Romi’s website. The pattern is called Leaves in a Stream.

When you first look at the pattern it is daunting. There are a lot of pages. I suggest you cast on and start - don’t read ahead. Romi has written every row out - just do as she says. You will be knitting, purling, increasing, decreasing and working German Short Rows. Romi includes a photo tutorial for the Short Rows. There are many videos online that you can watch for this as well.




From Romi
Here’s how my site works! If you have purchased a pattern of mine on Ravelry that’s listed for sale on my site, create an account on my site and link to your Ravelry account. The patterns you have previously purchased on Ravelry will automatically be added to your account so that you can download them without going onto Ravelry. Right now, of course, there are only a few patterns, but there will be more and more, and they will be added to your account if you have purchased them. Conversely, if you create an account and link your Ravelry account, then purchase a pattern through my site (you must link *before* you purchase), it will automatically be added to your Ravelry library. I never see your personal info. If you subscribe to my newsletter, you will get current info about what’s happening!
.
Again, my aim was simply to make previous purchases available, and to provide an accessible site where it is possible to buy future patterns. This could not have been done without Ravelry’s help, for which I am very grateful. I will be working pretty much backwards through my patterns, adding them bit by bit. If you have requests, please email me at designsbyromi@gmail.com and I will do my best to fast track the most requested patterns.

The yarn is Freia Shawl Ball and you are using two very different colours. We don’t have the colours that Romi used but I have put together some interesting combinations. What’s going to Lynda? I’m undecided. There are so many great combinations that I am going to wait until Monday but I’m leaning towards Aurora and Vintage. Or maybe Pt. Reyes and Autumn Rose.

For every picture I took I would start the yarn from the middle of the ball. Or you could start on the outside of both balls.








Shawl Balls come to us in bags of 4. Two are wound in one direction and the other two are wound backwards. When you receive your balls you can decide which way you want your colours to go by taking from the inside or outside of the ball.

It’s after 4pm and I still have my skeins of Malabrigo Sock. It’s time to wind them and cast on!!

No comments: