Thursday, December 02, 2010

Honduras

Tomorrow night my dad will be returning from Honduras.  This is his annual trip with the Carpenteros.  I wrote this post before he left but Beth and I decided that it might not be good to post and let the world know that my mom would be at home by herself for two weeks.

Yesterday was my birthday.  I didn't want to make a big deal of it but I want to thank those who emailed, posted on facebook and ravelry and called. Last night we (John, Lynda, Lynda's daughter Jessie, Beth, Mom and I) went to dinner at Milestones in Burlington.  There were many laughs and people were looking at us.  :)

My kitchen looks like a florists right now.

Flowers from Jane.  Looks great on a cold winter day.

Jessie loves flowers.  When she was little she loved going to Fortinos and going into the cooler of roses.  She picked out my roses and had them add holly.  She was very proud of herself.

The best part of the day was a phone call I received.  Dad called from Honduras.  It was the first time I had talked to him since he left.  Mom talks to him every day but it was good to hear his voice and know he was doing well.  The weather is hot.  I felt really bad when it was blowing and snowing out my window as we were talking.  :)

And here is the post that was written two weeks ago.

He has been getting ready for some time.  While in Myrtle Beach my parents went to the Dollar Store to stock up on stuff to take-glasses for reading, colouring books and crayons and anything else that they thought he should take.  The bill was $200.  Think about going to the Dollar Store and spending $200-it would take a lot of bags to get it all out to the car.  There is also a suitcase of tools to take.  Hammers.  Screw Drivers.  Saws.  Anything small that they might need.  His luggage will definitely be over weight.  The ticketing agent usually waives the fee when they here where the group is going.

I went online to find a few pictures from previous trips.

My dad (left) loves visiting with the children.  This is graduation day at school.

He also loves the work.

There are only two things that my dad doesn't like about the trip.

The flight.  He doesn't like flying on the best of days.  When you are flying into Tegucigalpa (the capital city) it looks like you are going to fly into the mountains.  Then the pilot does a quick turn and sets the plane down very fast.  It is supposed to be one of the hardest air strips to land on and only the most experienced pilots make this flight.

The food.  He hates refried beans and tortillas.  You get them for breakfast and whatever is left is reheated for lunch.  It happens again for dinner.  He will have a case (12 boxes?) of Arrowroots with him so that he has something to eat.

We will be meeting him tomorrow night at the airport with sandwiches and a winter coat!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You dad is awesome and so is your mom for supporting him in his efforts!!