Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Baileys

Mr. Canada Post brought in two boxes this morning. The first was from Lynda with a beautiful cardigan. I thought about making it for myself and now that I've seen the finished cardigan I will be making it.

Pattern: Baileys Irish Cream by Thea Colman (purchased on Ravelry)

Yarn: Zara (100% extra fine merino super wash - 125m on a 50gram ball ) from Filatura di Crosa

See the shades...
Shaping is centered on the back, which - like the arms - is knit in stockinette, so you can still make a few flattering mods as you go. The sweater is knit from the bottom up, sleeves attached at the yoke - and the collar and button bands are added at the end.
Baileys is a delicate cardigan that balances elegant details and simple design in one sweater. A cable and lace motif in a seemingly complex pattern (really it’s not!), a lace collar and open neckline, delicate buttons, and a creamy silk-merino- cashmere yarn add to the light, feminine vibe of the design, while a strong cabled button band, stockinette panels, and a turned hem bring the sweater back down to earth. Simple and flirty at the same time. Kind of made for Valentine’s Day, yes?
The second box was the Summer 2013 issue of Interweave Knits.
The garments in the Summer 2013 issue of Interweave Knits are full of surprises. Cast on for something fresh and fun with reimagined nautical favorites ("Fore & Aft"), finely tailored sweater girl staples ("A Touch of Nostalgia"), graceful takes on lace ("Aperture"), graphic, allover openwork ("Tracing Paper"), and modern experiments in fiber and gauge ("Flora & Fauna"). Summer is calling! Is your knitting bag ready?
I haven't had a chance to flip through the magazine yet. There have been a few other things happening in the store today.

Mr. UPS brought in Rowan's Fine Art. The colours are awesome. I haven't looked through that book either. Tomorrow. :)

I talked about my Blocking Room last night. This is what my bathroom looks like right now. Thank goodness I have a separate shower because there is no way to have a bath.
Kim and I have made quite a mess in the store today. I'm not sure if you understand what quite a mess is. Over half of the yarn in the store is being moved to a new room. This is going to take a while. Like weeks to get it all sorted but it's exciting.
We are moving all like thickness yarns together - it doesn't matter the brand. This means that there will no longer be a Rowan room and the Rowan yarns will live with other yarns that work to the same tension. This was a long debated decision. I really liked loved my Rowan room but when someone came in looking for a dk weight yarn (or worsted or bulky or...) we were showing them yarn in many different spots. This way it is much easier for people buying yarn.
This is how the sock wall is shaping up.

It's going home time and there is an internal debate going on. Should I stay and move more yarn or go home and knit??

Going home won but I still haven't knit. I baked two dozen cookies for my dad. He has to drive to North Bay tomorrow for a business meeting so Beth is going along. Didn't want him driving by himself and she has some business she can do there. Then I made dinner. Now we are heading to my parents. Tomorrow is my mom's birthday. And a big one! 50 :)

No comments: