Saturday, January 11, 2020

Selbu Mittens

Lynn has beautiful new mittens. The pattern is Selbu Mittens (purchased on Ravelry) and she knit them in Loch Lomond. She used less than one ball of each colour.
This is an ideal beginner’s pattern for Norwegian mittens, or colourwork mittens in general. It has row-by-row instructions not typically offered in most colourwork mitten patterns. Once you have made these, you should be able to knit colourwork mittens from a chart. 
Hello fellow knitter! I designed these mittens for my classes on Norwegian Selbu mittens. For that purpose I needed a pattern that would be easy to follow and quick to knit up, whilst also incorporating the techniques that defines a Selbu mitten. The result was these mittens, which only have a short rib so that you can get straight into the colourwork! Although, traditionally, women’s mittens only had rib or lace cuffs. Many thanks to Anne Bårdsgård for putting together the masterpiece ‘Selbuvotter’, which greatly informed and influenced the construction of this pattern.
The Story of the Selbu Mitten
I was going to try them on but couldn't get my hands into them. They fit Lynn perfectly. The mittens are quite narrow - if you have large hands you might want to use a thicker yarn.

Yarnuary
Day 11 - what keeps your mojo going

Being around yarn all the time. We are always receiving new yarns that I want to try. Also Ravelry. Take a few minutes and look at the site. You will find one, two or twenty things you want/need to knit.
A new project gets my mojo going. I wound skeins this morning to start Hinterland. I'm using Donegal Cottage Tweed Sock in Green Elf Cup with Dyed in the Wool in Heart Sigh.
©Jenn Steingass
My Newleaf is dry and I like how it fits. There are a few ends to sew in and then pictures. I am going to sew the ends in and then I can say that I made the sweater - knit, blocked and sewed in the ends.

We were outside this morning just before the rain started.
Boscoe likes his outdoor toys.

Dad put up some snow fencing so that Boscoe can't get into the garden. He loves digging.

Why the long leash? Boscoe got under the fence at work yesterday. They got him back right away but we aren't taking any chances.

He is a very busy puppy when he is awake. He is go, go, go and then all of a sudden he is tired and lying on someone's feet. Usually mine.

1 comment:

Lois Evensen said...

Boscoe is so sweet! What a darling. :) One of our four is a digger, but not under fences. She digs in the soil enough to look like a half Chocolate Lab in stead of a Yellow Lab.

Love that sweater!