Friday, January 22, 2016

Swatching

Mr. Canada Post brought in a box from Lynda this afternoon. Two new samples for the store.
Pattern: Scaflock (purchased on Ravelry)
Yarn: 2 skeins of tosh dk (we used Aura)
Scaflock was inspired by one of my favorite literary adventures: Robin Hood. The fetching lace pattern is reminiscent of arrowheads, while the slipped stitches and textures emulate arrow shafts and fletching. A picked-up lace edging detail represents the leaves of the Greenwood Tree that sheltered the outlaws. Perfect for your inner rogue!
We have a new poncho. I dressed my friend with the point to the side here.

Pattern: Twice Reversible Ribbed Poncho from Churchmouse (you can purchase in the store or on Ravelry)
Yarn: 6 skeins of Mrs. Crosby Steamer Trunk - we used Squid Ink

This time I have the point to the front. Churchmouse has other options on how to wear the poncho.
We’ve finessed the details of this longtime favorite style to make it ‘twice reversible’: both the fabric and the shape can be flipped. We chose a stitch pattern that has two ‘right sides’ and added a nifty hybrid graft/seam for true reversibility. You can wear your poncho point-in-front for relaxed ‘boho’ style or point-in-back for a little more polish. Options upon options!

This poncho shape doesn’t follow the usual conventions of sizing (bust/waist/hips)—it’s more about scale. We designed this poncho in two sizes so your result will be comfortable and flattering. The two keys to the fit are the neckline and the back/arm length. The width of the rectangle determines where it hits—we like just at the bent elbow, which is also just above the waist.
Swatching is a 4 letter word. We all hate doing it but it is important.
I started my shawl last night. I didn't swatch and I didn't have a pattern. I just cast on stitches and started knitting. WRONG! It is way too wide. If I continue on with this number of stitches I will need four String Quintet kits. I'm going to take it out and start again with half as many stitches.

If I had cast on 20 stitches and knit some rows I could have figured out the right number of stitches to cast on. A bit of work ahead of time saves agony later.

Rowan Magazine #59 should arrive late this afternoon. I can't wait to see it.

Magazine 59 is here and there are two stories for the Spring/Summer 2016 collection, 'Coastal' and 'Kyoto'. Coastal is a collection of wearable designs for both men and women, whereas Kyoto is an elegant collection of womenswear, inspired by all things Japanese.

The Coastal collection features simple pieces as well as cables and textures inspired by Coastal knitting such as fishermens ganseys but with a modern twist.

Kyoto offers stunning lace and colourwork in bright shades as well as crochet pieces.

My shawl has been ripped out and I'm ready to cast on again. The TV is on CNN and I'm watching the weather in the US. Charlotte, NC has more snow on the ground than we do in Ancaster.

No comments: