Saturday, October 29, 2011

Kate is in the house-part 2

I was so tired last night that I didn't make it through the baseball game. The Cardinals were ahead when I fell asleep and I woke up just as the post game interviews were starting. I rolled over and went back to sleep. It was an early start today. Kate is here again teaching. Classes started at 9:30 so I was here at 8:30 to make sure everything was in order.

Did you know that Kate has written a book? It isn't out yet but you can pre-order online (both in PDF and print format). We will be carrying the book in the store as well.

From Kate's blog (where you can read more about the book)
My book is designed to help knitters grow from being confident with their needles to being confident with patterns. In it, key questions are answered, e.g.: "What's ease", "What does it mean when it says to decrease evenly across?", "What skills do I need to knit socks?", and "What's the big deal about not twisting the round?"

The first third of the book is all about working with and from patterns - how to choose a good pattern, how to know if a pattern is going to be easy or difficult.  How to choose the appropriate yarn and why and how to swatch (and when not to... ).  How to choose what size to knit. And I explain all that strange language you see in patterns... like "work even" and "every foll alt"; I teach you how to read charts.  I clearly explain what skills are needed for different types of projects and what the appropriate next steps are for newer knitters.
From hearing Kate in class I know that this is going to be a great book!

Here is my scarf so far. Trying to get a picture without my shadow was a challenge.

If you look at the top of this page you will see Kidsilk Stripe. If you click on it, you can see all the colours available.
I turned my friend around and took a picture into the sun. We might not see too much more of Mr. Sun so it is nice to see him today.

I started thinking last night that I have been knitting forever on this scarf. Then I realized that I only started it last Saturday and didn't really work on it until Sunday. Not bad.

It's almost going home time and then Beth and I are heading out so I am going to sign off. Have a good night. Hope you are sitting in front of a fireplace with your needles.

No comments: