Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My first dinner party

My mom turned 65 on Friday so Beth and I decided to throw her a dinner party on Sunday. Many of the guests were in awe that we actually cooked the food and didn't have it catered. The menu included
-lasagna (made Thursday night)
-ham
-pot roast
-scalloped potatoes
-roasted potatoes
-cauliflower
-carrots
-Caesar salad (brought by someone else)
-Oreo cheesecake (made Saturday night)
-Ice cream cake (brought by someone else)
-Cheesecake (brought by someone else)

Beth and I had many discussions about how much food to make. We thought that 15 people were going to show. NOT. We had 20. Luckily we did have enough food but there wasn't a lot left over.

It was an all week event for this. We were at the grocery store at least 4 times. Then we had to go to Pier 1 and buy some more furniture. We have great couches in the loft but there wasn't anywhere to put down a drink so we had to buy some end tables. Unfortunately the Ancaster store only had one so Beth had to go to Hamilton for the other. We also had many pictures to be hung so dad did that on Friday night and Saturday afternoon. There was also the trip out to buy more cutlery. We had enough for 8 but now have enough for 16. Napkins. Napkin rings. More serving dishes. All the little things you don't need for day to day life but all of a sudden need when feeding the masses. We are now set for the next event!!!

I forgot to mention picking out the flooring for the basement. Cathy worked on Thursday finishing the kitchen clean up (which looks amazing). I ran out to get us lunch and stopped at home to see how the drywall was going. Dad was there hanging doors and asked me to run and get coffee. When I returned to the house the flooring guy (my dad's friend Jim) showed up so my dad asked me to take Jim to Home Depot and see the flooring we picked out. I am just going to say that I spent over an hour and a half at Home Depot-the story is way too long and just makes me mad. We now have the flooring in our garage and it was on sale for half price so everyone is happy. It was just one of those things that I didn't need to deal with on that day.

Yarn is on its way
-more Shepherd sock yarn from Lorna's Laces. I have notification that it left the US so it will be here any day
-more Dream in Color smooshy. I just talked with UPS and it should be here tomorrow

I did get some knitting done on my lace cardi over the week. Both fronts are done and the back is almost to the armhole shaping. I'm going to stop writing now so that I can get back to the knitting.

No comments: