Thursday, March 01, 2007

Message from "Sam"

My friend "Sam" sent me this email to clarify a few things. I decided that you all needed to read it because it is priceless.

Julie darling-- "Sam" here. A few more details on the thong story-- first, "the only yarn I had in the house"-- did I laugh! Just about the only yarn I DON'T have in the house (yet) is yak. Chose the Nashua Creative Focus Worsted because it matched gauge and (most importantly) was handy; "Thumper" (computer genius) wanted to get going right away. It's the soft medium heather grey and the resulting item would look splendid on an Inuit woman. And strangely, wasn't really uncomfortable in the dainty place, at least for the five seconds I wore it. Perhaps we will send it to a Goodwill in Yellowknife.
The Super 10 (Imperial Teal colour for enquiring minds) thong came out a little bigger: Thumper's new knitterly confidence caused him to relax a bit. I'm going to throw it in the dryer to smallen it. Neither have been properly blocked but I'll send along photos when they have been. Would recommend a slightly finer gauge cotton for anyone contemplating doing this, knit on a needle big enough to bring it up to 5 st./in.
While he was working on Thong #2, Thumper found a cotton knitted water bottle holder about 9" long (with shoulder strap) that someone had given me years ago. "You made me one too!" he exclaimed. The resulting mental picture was too Borat to dwell on for long.
Important: Thumper discovered a small error in the IK lace pattern. He corrected it for the Super 10 version. If the errata has not already appeared on the IK site, he can email you a correction.
He has since moved on to Karen Baumer's Multidirectional Knitted Scarf in Handmaiden's Ottawa, and after that plans to explore the Barbara Walker mosaic patterns. Our two children now think that fathers knitting underwear for their mothers is just a natural part of life, like pizza Thursdays and snow in winter. Cool.
Love, "Sam"

3 comments:

Samantha said...

LMAO!!

Dorothy said...

That's pretty funny!

Anonymous said...

Too funny.