Thursday, January 18, 2007

Very eventful trip

We arrived home from Las Vegas at 7 this morning. After sleeping for most of the day I am up and catching up on work.

We left for San Diego on Friday morning. The trade show was from Saturday - Monday so we were getting there early to have time to shop in the afternoon. Okay, Bev and I were going to Nordstroms and Beth was going to the zoo.

We arrived at Pearson airport around 6:30 for our 9am flight-I would think that was early enough. After checking in, going through US customs and security we went and sat at the gate. Bev's boss was also on our flight but called to say that they bumped him off because of weight restrictions. Her boss lives in Italy and English is his second language so we thought he misunderstood the people checking him in. The flight was probably oversold and they were flying him to LA and then he was going by bus to San Diego. At 8:30 they start boarding our plane. Just before Beth and I were about to board they called our name. We were bumped off too. They had us on a small jet that could make the flight in ideal conditions but there was a strong head wind so the jet needed more fuel. This meant it needed less passengers!!! Now they had to scramble to find us something else. Bev was already on the plane - flying business class. They gave her a note saying we weren't on the flight and we would see her sometime that day. We had a 6pm meeting but Air Canada didn't care. If they had bumped us at 7am when we checked in we could have gone to LA as well and been in San Diego by 3 in the afternoon. Unfortunately Air Canada isn't run like a real business!!! They flew us to Las Vegas at noon and then into San Diego. We arrived at 8pm-should have been there at 11:30 am. Air Canada had this problem 5 out of the 6 days last week but wouldn't put a bigger jet on for the flight. They had to bump 30 peole off our flight-what did that cost them?

The weather in San Diego was very cold. You needed a heavy coat at night when going out.

I spent Saturday at the show. I looked around and bought some new yarns for the shop-it is a secret for now. The company has to okay me to carry their yarn but once I know, you will know. I had a long talk with the people from Rowan to try and get their deliveries to Canada working better. Hopefully we will get our yarns in a more timely manner now. I also saw the new books for spring-looks good. If you stop by the store I can show you a preview.

We knew when we left that there was going to be a football game in San Diego on Sunday. My dad ordered us to go so it was set that Sunday morning we would head to the stadium and buy scalper tickets. Sunday morning the news was reporting that you couldn't drive near the stadium without a ticket and couldn't use public transportation to the stadium without a ticket. We checked out the newspaper and found a ticket agency that still had some. Off we went and ended up with great seats. The game was amazing but the wrong team won!!

Monday morning was running through the show to see the last bits of yarns and accessories. I bought some fantastic knitting bags from Off Hand Designs. I ordered in new colours that won't be available until March. Take a look at the website, if there is a bag you are interested in, let me know. We can special order for you. I also ordered in some more shawl pins. One set came home with me (Gita Maria) and the others will be mailed this week. There was a special bag that came home in one suitcase-15 more skeins of Mountain Colors Bearfoot. They just finished dying them so they brought to the show. We will also be receiving a new 100% silk, handpaint shawl yarn from Claudia Hand Painted Yarns. It isn't on their website yet so you can't see pictures.




Monday afternoon we set out for Vegas. Not much to tell. Just went to bed early and did nothing. NOT!!!

Tuesday afternoon Bev and I went to Nordstroms. I ended up with 3 pairs of shoes, Bev bought one pair of boots. Of course I needed a new bag for the shoes so I bought a cool brown leather knapsack at the Brighton store. Mine is a dark chocolate brown. Tuesday evening we went to see "O". The show was amazing. Beth and I were seeing it for the second time. If you are going to Vegas spend the money and see it. The tickets are expensive ($150 US) but totally worth it. You won't see a show like this anywhere else. It was actually much better the second time. If you have seen a live performance of Cirque du Soleil you will know that many things are happening at once so you miss things. You can catch them the second time seeing the show.


Dad is flying back to Myrtle Beach on Saturday so Beth and I are off to have dinner with him. When I get home I think I will lie on the couch and watch the Barrett-Jackson auction. If you haven't heard of this, flip to the Speed channel. It is an amazing auto auction from Arizona. What I could do with lots and lots of money!!!

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Air Canada is run by monkies, I'm sure of it ... I've only ever heard bad things about them from people who've flown with them.

Other than the delay in flight, it sounds like your trip was a success. :)

Dorothy said...

Your shoes and bag are beautiful. Air Canada, twits. If I am going to be flying in the States, I drive the four hours to International Falls and jump on a flight from there. It is so much less of a hassle. Their airport is small and the people who work there are really quite nice. The long term parking isn't insanely expensive either and it's pretty secure.