Friday, April 28, 2006

Any 4 letter word will work

I learned a good lesson this afternoon. I was rushing around at closing time. Needed to run to Westdale to pick up my new glasses. Many of you are scratching your heads because you have never seen me wear glasses. I get a new pair every 3 years and then don't like them so I never wear them. With the headaches that I have been getting I thought that maybe glasses would help. I now have a funky pair and really like them so I should wear them more. Sorry-back to the story. From getting my glasses I was running to have my nails done. I closed the store and threw my knitting in the truck with a bottle of ginger ale. Long pause-you guessed it-the gingerale spilled all over my yarn. This is the Sassafrass from Nashua for the shrug. I have now started it 2 times on different needles (both pieces were in the bag) because I am sure that there isn't going to be enough yarn and was hoping the bigger needles would help. The other 6 balls were in there as well. I can not repeat what I said!! My question to everyone is-how do I dry out the balls of yarn? I was thinking of letting them dry, knitting up the shrug and then washing. Or do you have a better solution. HELP!!!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hi Julie, I often dye whole balls of yarn and then put them over a heat duct to dry. You can open them up a very little to get some space in the centre. Putting them in a sunny spot would also work. Or in a mesh or wire basket hanging in the wind and/or sun. I would probably wait until the knitting was done to wash the completed article.

Hopefully the yarn isn't too sticky. If it is, you may needed to wash it before you knit it any more. You could always make a skein and rinse and then rewind it into a ball. But that is probably not worth the effort, so I would just knit it quickly!

Stephanie in Port Dover

Michelle said...

Holy @$#!*#*#!!! Ahem, I think my word was longer then 4 letters. [grin]

I would unwind all the yarn, soak it and then dry it in hanks. Hey, it's wet anyway, might as well be a clean wet. What a major pain to have happened.

I'm exactly the same way with my glasses. I start to get my headaches and I wear them...headaches wear off, so do the glasses.

Rhonda said...

I'm going with the skeins. If you can put them in skeins, rinse in water, and then hang to dry. Start something new till they're dry. If you need me, I have a skein winder thingy and i can rinse them and hang them on the line to dry.

Unknown said...

i'm with Michelle on this one too. I wouldn't knit the yarn before it was washed, especially because of they syrupy factor of ginger ale (as opposed to ... water). Leaving the gingerale in/on the yarn could leave you with evidence down the road. Unwind the skeins around something non-metal and wash. I would also be careful to keep it away from direct sunlight.

Unknown said...

Ditto.

Sounds like you need an Angry Little Girls Bag! I'm sure that the 3rd start will be the charm.